Sunday, December 15, 2013

Youtube is the key to education

I am a complete nerd when it comes to youtube.  Almost any new thing I learn comes from youtube because I always say that someone took the time to make a how to video about anything you can think of.  In high school I learned all my pre calc materials on youtube and how to play piano.  From there I started learning how to build things fix things.  The knowledge helped me earn extra money for college and other expenses.  I fix xbox 360's and Ipods all of which I learned from youtube.  Though you must watch multiple videos in order to find the consistent information, however once you do many time people site their sources in the description or verbally.  I even learned how to fix one of the trouble shooting issues I was having interactivity 4 from youtube.  Really you can find anything on youtube and add it to your lesson no matter the content area.  since being at Montclair I have only really seen the music faculty constantly use youtube as one of their pedagogical tools in the classroom.  Some teacher even have listed in their lesson plan.  I say youtube is the key to education because there have been classes that I did not even buy the book for and I managed to still get a pretty good grade all using youtube lessons as my primary source of information.  I find watching videos to be much more interesting than reading and I feel a lot of my peers agree.  In classes where there was a test about a movie rather than a book regardless of how rigorous the test was people did better on the one that was about the movie.  We are visual and physical learner "monkey see monkey do" is how we as humans function on the most basic level.  I see video on youtube I do, to me its a very efficient tool though I do not encourage people to not buy the book as I did I do feel that one should really become well involved  in what youtube has to offer.  Before it is no longer free!

No comments:

Post a Comment